Thursday 25 October 2012

Little people

Bonsoir tout le monde,

So, it was about an hour ago after I waved goodbye to Alice babes at the station following a Thursday afternoon as lovely as ever in her company, that I realised: I have nothing to do this evening. And I panicked. THIS NEVER HAPPENS TO ME. Sure, I have Balzac books to be reading, half term trips to be planning, and an invitation to a 'Back to School' themed uni night (the French like to dress up in uniforms even though they've never had to wear one... I knew my students loved 'em really!) but quite frankly, they can all wait until tomorrow. Bar the 'Back to School' night because that is actually only happening tonight, but with an 8am start at school tomorrow, j'ai la flemme (I can't be bothered). And alas, this is how I find myself writing to you all and inviting you to tell me what's going on in your lives :)

Reflecting back in a logical order, I think I shall start by telling you all about a magical place called Lac d'Aiguebelette, population: 229 people (in 2006 and more than likely now), number of shop-cum-boulangeries: 1. On a surprise day off, me and my housemate Simon decided to venture walking to this beautiful part of the Savoie region. "Another lake???" you may rightly ask. But it is by far my favouritest of them all.



                                                                                         
                                                                                             Because French cows don't say 'Moo'
                                                                                                                     Please excuse the heeeuuuuge sizes of these photos, but they really are necessary to see the tiny speech bubbles. Really.

Saturday, I bought a bike for 30 euros. It's not the most modern of bikes, nor the best equipped. My lovely teacher who kindly gave me a lift to the second hand bike and ski sale didn't think I'd need to bother buying a sturdy lock chain for it, because no-one will try and steal it, in her opinion. But I think it's beautiful. Vintage even. Unfortunately I can't show you a picture as it's 3 floors downstairs locked outside, and it's dark. But I promise one for the future! I also promise to ride it at some point and not just keep it locked out there neglected, but pretty.

And here is the part where I explain the title of this blog. I have agreed to be a 'nounou' (a nanny) for one of the English teachers at the lycee, looking after her two boys of 3 and 6 years old. I pick them up on a Monday after school, take them to the park, get them ready for dinner and above all, speak English with them. Now, I've only just in the past few years got round to liking small children, but I still have a lot to learn in understanding them. On first meeting them last Saturday, the 3 year old cried, and I was royally blanked by the 6 year old. Even chocolate couldn't persuade them to like me. I tried speaking to them in English, and then in French, and I was met with silence.

Monday, I went to collect them for the first time from school. Laden with laptop and schoolbag, I hurried to get there before 5.55pm, as my teacher said that they threaten to lock the gates and leave the children there should they not be picked up by the cut off point. Surprisingly, the boys recognised me. Holding DaDa, the 3 year old's beloved teddy, we 4 made our way to the park. The 6 year old I am learning likes to be independent and go off and climb trees and play houses like Tarzan. My nerves don't like this so much. I played Cache Cache (Hide and seek) with the 3 year old and 1 of his girl friends from school. Cache Cache turns into Tache Tache with him though, as he has trouble with his C's and T's. He is adorable. Then we 3 went to play in the play house. I was thrown out of the house, for reasons I don't know or understand. Turning around to check my laptop had not been stolen from the place under the tree where I'd left all our stuff, I noticed 2 young boys approach my tree. I then noticed them preparing to relieve their little bladders. Surely they are old enough to know that this is not acceptable behaviour!!! I looked over to their oblivious French mums chattering away, were they really going to let this happen?! And in the blink of an eye, it was too late. Looking on in horror, these 2 little angels were peeing over our stuff.

"Mama, regarde, je fais pee pee!"
"Oui cheri!" calls back the really supervising mother.

"Time to go home kids!" I say, as I trunch over to survey the damage caused. Splash marks all over the boys bags, yellow coats, MY BAG and LAPTOP BAG. The 6 year old goes to pick up his bag:

"C'est mouillĂ© (wet)" he says. 

Sighing, I carried all the wet belongings home. Luckily their parents were very understanding: "Welcome to the world of little children". 

In work and old children news, things are still going OK, up and down, depending on the size of classes. I love my Thursday class of 3 girls who voluntarily come week in and out, and who love literature as much as I do. Planning lessons on Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen is a pleasure for me, and I love helping them understand the meaning behind these classic texts. Those that have a passion for English and want to learn make classes even more fun. 16-18 year olds are the ones I find the hardest to get motivated/ quiet, and I did have to tell a group off yesterday. I was just as shocked as you probably all are! Not one for an argument or confrontation, the punishment of moving this group of re-offenders for next week's lesson came from nowhere, and as the class fell silent, my face went bright red. But, secretly, I quite like that they finally listened to me! Teaching is doing wonders for my confidence, and each lesson I finish I still can't quite believe I've stood up in front of all these people and talked and talked and talked. My blushing reaction still hasn't become immune to smooth talking 17 year olds however, as I told a pupil he looked like Danny from The Script after playing a fill in the blanks game to one of their songs.

"Is he good looking?" he asked. 
"Ahem, well......" I said.

Things I'm learning/ have learnt this week:


  1. 3 and 6 year olds cannot read.
  2. Lyon is Paris really.



                                                     
                                                               Or Amsterdam!!!!


3. This is an example of a French person's idea of a 'slice' of cheese. Yes, that is width ways.
















Well my loved ones, that is all my news for now. The 2 week half term holidays start on Saturday, and I am off on my travels. Pontarlier, Normandy and an Italian road trip, here I come babyyyy! Although I am sad not to be going home to see you all, Christmas is not far away now :)

Gros bisous and hugs and amour etc etc etc to you all.
Will write soon!

Grenoble Girl

Oh, and I joined the University of Savoie, hello extra French learning! Geekilicious

X

No comments:

Post a Comment